WHAT INFORMATION WE OBTAIN
When you use a Digital Service, we may obtain various types of information related to you and your use of the Digital Service. This may include information that directly identifies you such as your name, address, or contact information (this type of information may be called “personal information” or “personally identifiable information”). The information we obtain generally consists of information (1) you give us about yourself, (2) you give us about others, (3) automatically collected about your interactions with the Digital Services and our content or ads on third-party websites, apps or other media, and (4) we get from other sources.
Information you give us
We may ask you to provide information about yourself when you use the Digital Services. For example, to subscribe to one of our newsletters, you will need to give us an email address. You may not be able to use certain features if you choose not to submit the requested information.
The information you give us may include details such as:
- Contact information (e.g., name, mailing address, email address or phone number).
- Demographic, interests and household information (e.g., age, gender or education).
- Payment information for subscriptions or purchases made through the Digital Services (e.g., payment card number, expiration date and billing information).
- Comments, photos, videos and other content or information you choose to publish on the Digital Services or otherwise share with us.
- Information you provide when you choose to participate in surveys, polls, sweepstakes, contests or promotions (including information about your participation in activities that may generate loyalty or rewards points).
- Location information, which may include precise location information when you permit the Digital Services to access device location. To prevent the collection of precise location information, please refer to instructions provided by your mobile service provider or device manufacturer.
- Other information you may allow us to access through your device’s permissions settings, such as your contacts or address book.
- Transactional and activity information (e.g., requests, searches or orders).
Information you give us about others
You may give us information about other people, such as the name and email of a friend or contact with whom you want to share an article or the name and address of a gift subscription recipient. Do not give us information about others unless you are authorized or have their consent to do so. We will use their information for the purposes described in this Privacy Notice.
Information automatically collected
The Digital Services automatically log certain information about visits to the Digital Services, such as the number and frequency of visitors, technical information about browsers and devices used to access the Digital Services, and information about crashes or other technical issues. In addition, we and third parties may automatically collect certain information through automated means about your activities over time across the Digital Services as well as across third-party sites, apps or other media. The tools that collect this information vary depending on the Digital Services and include technologies such as cookies, web beacons, tags, scripts, pixels, local shared objects (including HTML5 cookies) and software development kits (“SDKs”). These technologies may be included in our web pages, mobile apps, emails, and other digital content. The tools may assign or collect unique cookie IDs or other identifiers associated with your browser or device. The tools may collect information while you are using our Digital Services or while they are running in the background of your device.
The information automatically collected may include:
- Information about your computer, device, browser and operating system (e.g., type, model, or version).
- Internet protocol (IP) address, which may be used to derive your general geographic area (e.g., city and country).
- Device identifiers (e.g., mobile advertising IDs).
- Information about your interactions with the Digital Services, including browsing activities and clickstream data that reflect the content you have accessed, clicked on, or viewed.
- Information about how you accessed the Digital Services, including details about websites or apps visited immediately before or after accessing aDigital Service.
- Demographic, interests and household information.
- Information about your interactions with email messages and other communications, such as whether you opened or forwarded the email or clicked on links contained in the email.
HOW WE USE INFORMATION WE OBTAIN
If you make a purchase or place an order through or in connection with a Digital Service, we use your payment card information (e.g., your card number and expiration date) for limited purposes such as to process your transaction (including recurring payments, if applicable), to provide you with the requested products or services and for the purposes described under the section “To protect our rights or the rights of others” below.
With respect to information other than your payment card information, we use that information:
- To provide you with the Digital Services. This includes:
- Processing your requests regarding the Digital Services and our subscriptions, products or services, or your participation in a survey, sweepstakes, contest, promotion, event or similar initiative.
- Providing customer assistance or technical support.
- Customizing content, providing recommendations and enhancing the quality and your overall experience with the Digital Services, including by retaining your user preferences or presenting content in the most effective manner for the browser or device you use to access the Digital Services.
- Maintaining, operating, improving and developing the Digital Services and related content, products or services, including developing new products and features based on users’ interactions with the Digital Services.
- Learning about users of the Digital Services and analyzing how you and others interact with and respond to the Digital Services, including by measuring and optimizing usage, reliability and performance, conducting market research, analyzing trends, and supporting our operations (e.g., for accounting, auditing, financial, legal or other purposes).
To communicate with you. This includes:
- Sending you informational messages about the Digital Services (e.g., to confirm your subscription or notify you of changes to a Digital Service).
- Delivering marketing or promotional communications, including offers or promotions about our or third parties’ products, services or other initiatives.
- Responding to your questions or addressing your requests.
- Communicating with you about surveys, sweepstakes, contests, promotions or events.
To protect our rights or the rights of others. This includes:
- Performing audits, assessments and testing or troubleshooting activities.
- Backing up our systems (including for disaster recovery purposes) and enhancing the overall security of the Digital Services.
- Complying with and enforcing applicable industry and legal requirements (including legal process such as court orders, warrants or subpoenas) and fulfilling contractual obligations.
HOW WE SHARE INFORMATION
We may share the information we obtain with:
- Affiliates and Subsidiaries. We work closely with affiliates and subsidiaries within the The Treasured Petal family of companies with whom we share your information as necessary or appropriate to operate the Digital Services.
- Service Providers. In connection with the operation and provision of the Digital Services, we engage various third parties to provide services or handle transactions on our behalf, such as payment card processing, email distribution, list processing, postal mailing, cloud computing, analytics, digital content performance measurement, ad serving and managing sweepstakes, contests, promotions or events. These service providers use the information we provide to them as necessary or appropriate for the performance of their services.
- Advertisers, Advertising- and Marketing-Related Service Providers and Partners. We may provide your information to advertisers, advertising agencies, ad networks, ad exchanges, marketing businesses, technology vendors and other entities that create, deliver and assess advertising or marketing campaigns, including interest-based ads.
- Content Measurement Companies. We and third parties seek to measure the performance of content across the internet, including on the Digital Services. We may include third-party measurement software in the Digital Services to enable market research or to measure digital and video content consumption.
- Social Media Platforms. If you interact with social media widgets, share content using social media share buttons, or access features of the Digital Services that contain content or features provided by Social Media Platforms, the relevant Social Media Platforms may collect information. We encourage you to review the privacy policies of the Social Media Platforms that you engage with as we are not responsible for their privacy practices.
- Business Partners. We may provide your information to business partners including, without limitation, joint marketing partners and content sponsors, for various purposes. For example, we may partner with a third party to offer products on a co-branded, co-sponsored or cross-promotional basis that involves the sharing of information. These initiatives may be offered on the Digital Services or on other media.
- Other Parties When Required by Law or As Necessary to Protect Our Rights. We may share your information as we believe is necessary or appropriate to protect, enforce, or defend our legal rights, the privacy or safety of our employees, users of the Digital Services or other individuals and entities, or to comply with or enforce applicable industry standards, law or legal process, including responding to court orders, warrants, subpoenas and other requests from public and government authorities.
- Corporate Transactions. We reserve the right to transfer any of the information we have about you to proceed with the consideration, negotiation, or completion of a sale or transfer of all or a portion of our business or assets to a third party, such as in the event of a merger, acquisition or other disposition, or in connection with a bankruptcy reorganization, dissolution, or liquidation.
- With Your Consent or Otherwise at Your Direction. In addition, we may share your information with third parties when you consent to or request such sharing.
Storing Your Information
We will keep your personal information for as long as we have a relationship with you. Once our relationship with you has come to an end, we will retain your personal information for a period of time that enables us to:
- Maintain business records for analysis, understanding market trends and/or audit purposes and to improve the Digital Services.
- Comply with record retention requirements under applicable laws or other relevant legal or regulatory requirements.
- Defend, establish, exercise or bring any existing or potential legal claims.
- Carry out fraud detection and prevention.
- Deal with any complaints regarding the Digital Services, our products and services.
We will delete your personal information when it is no longer required for these purposes. If there is any information that we are unable, for technical reasons, to delete from our systems, we will put in place appropriate measures to prevent any further processing or use of the data.
International Data Transfers
Information collected through the Digital Services will be processed in and subject to the laws of the United States, which may not provide the same level of protection for your personal information as your home country. If we transfer personal data from the European Economic Area, United Kingdom and Switzerland we put in place safeguards. In particular, such safeguards include the European Commission-approved standard contractual clauses. For more information on these safeguards, please contact us at the details provided in the “Contact Us” section above. We participate in the EU-US and Swiss-US Privacy Shield frameworks. Read our Privacy Shield Statement to learn more.
Changes to the Privacy Notice
Where changes to this Privacy Notice have a fundamental impact on the nature of the processing or otherwise have a substantial impact on you, we will give you advanced notice so that you have the opportunity to exercise your rights (e.g. to object to the processing).